Jen is an absolute content rockstar. She has an innate understanding of how both data and human narratives come together to create content that becomes the most important weaponized asset that both startups and big brands can wield across the customer lifecycle.
She's a classic "T-shaped" content expert, who is as equally skilled as both a writer as she is an editor-in-chief, who is not afraid to roll up her sleeves and get into the weeds - whether it's analyzing data for a ground-breaking content piece or diving into related marketing projects like fine-tuning Marketo/Pardot email sequences and landing pages to getting direct mail assets written, produced, and out the door.
Most importantly she understands the power of content leverage - how to develop the strategy and tone of a brand, generate and nurture creative content ideas, and work with direct reports or freelancers to Get Stuff Done. Plus she can do across the spectrum of content types - from customer acquisition/conversion/retention to PR-supporting to sales enablement to produce marketing to web copy.
I'm of course super biased because I poached her from her previous role and she exceeded expectations all around. She is a huge catch, I'd hire her again if I could, and will be a huge asset to any company that understands the power of content as an integral part of its brand and growth engine.
Matthew Levin, VP Marketing at Cota
April 17, 2017 | Matthew managed Jen directly
December 2016 - Present
DIRECTOR, CONTENT MARKETING
Cota is a healthcare technology platform that helps oncology professionals make data-driven decisions and deliver precision medicine. As an early marketing team hire, I develop all aspects of content strategy.
- Launched the Cota blog, curated weekly newsletter The Oncology Download, and first public product Cota OCM
- Create and manage a content calendar and a team of freelancers—writers, subject matter experts, and designers
- Utilize internal resources to develop data-informed content
- Develop narratives for PR and content from academic research
Jen Marie is a thoughtful and talented marketing, community and communications leader. We collaborated on a number of projects together at Schoology. As a leader, she helped me understand many marketing nuances as they relate to the growth of the sales team. Her work building out the Ambassadors program helped the company launch a brand new content strategy. She performs well under pressure and has a proven track record of coming through in the clutch. I enjoyed worked with Jen Marie and her maturity would add immediate value to any team she's on.
Daniel Gottlieb, Senior Sales Executive at Contently
April 7, 2016 | Daniel worked with Jen at Schoology
June 2013 - December 2016
Content and Community Director
August 2016 - Present
Schoology is a cloud-based learning management system for K-12 and higher education institutions. Promoted to three different roles in 3 ½ years within content, community, and communications, I led the marketing team for a year and reported directly to the Co-founder/CEO during our search for a CMO.
- Established Schoology brand & content in the voice of the user
- Developed, implemented, and automated the Schoology Ambassador program, which served as an advocacy and content engine for the entire company (featured at Marketo’s 2016 Marketing Nation Summit)
- Orchestrated the overall vision, content, keynotes, promotion, logistics of the first three Schoology NEXT user conferences
- Hired and managed marketing team members, PR consultants, and freelance content firms
Director of Community
June 2015 - August 2016
I led the Community team at Schoology which encompassed social media, user generated content, community initiatives and programs—including our Ambassador program. I also organized content, speakers, and sponsors for our annual user conference, Schoology NEXT.
Marketing Communications Director
August 2014 - June 2015
As Communications Director, I focused on creating content, press opportunities, and community programs, as well as growing our social media+community team in order to serve and empower our rapidly expanding global user community.
During our CMO search from April 2014-15 I was asked to lead our awesomely hard-working, collaborative Marketing team. Here are just a few things we accomplished together in the few months of Spring-Summer 2014:
- Selling out our first user conference, twice.
- Boosting SEO rankings for key terms 20+ places to the front page of Google search results.
- Developing targeted product messaging across different markets and geographic areas in multiple languages.
- Redesigning an entirely new 20'x20' trade show booth.
- Supporting an expanding Sales team with more automated workflows between CRMs and lead nurturing programs, event logistics, and updated collateral.
- Executing 80+ events annually and expanding internationally.
June 2013 - August 2014
Managed PR consultants, content, social media platforms, and various community-driven marketing initiatives. Pitched in to coordinate technical operations—Marketo administration—along with measuring various metrics for SEO, social media, and leads. Led vision, content, promotion, and overall execution for our sold-out first annual user conference, Schoology NEXT 2014.
February 2013 – September 2013
Director of Community
NYTechWomen began as a meetup group to connect women in NYC tech for social events and professional development. I served on the first NYTechWomen leadership team as Community Director.
-Coordinated with founding, leadership teams and advisory board to define group mission and objectives
-Engaged group of 1,000+ members with events, programming, professional development opportunities
November 2011 – January 2012
NYC EVENT ORGANIZER/DIGITAL MARKETING
Lean Startup Machine is a workshop that helps entrepreneurs develop ideas, find product-market fit, and build a minimum viable product in one weekend. This was a part-time temporary role working with the VP of Marketing.
- Coached entrepreneurs to utilize Lean Startup methodology to test business ideas, messaging, and product-market fit
- Co-organized NYC Lean Startup weekend workshops
I originally hired Jen Marie as an intern to work with me on Research at Conductor. Although she joined Conductor with no background in the Search industry Jen demonstrated a great capacity to consume knowledge about the space and quickly became invaluable in developing research and content ideas. Jen was hired full time and in addition to working on the Research team she also managed Conductor’s social networks and demonstrated a natural aptitude for networking and developing Conductor’s voice in the industry. I was sorry to see Jen go but know that she was an integral part of helping to build the Conductor brand.
Nathan Safran, Director of Research at NAPCO Media June 20, 2013 June 20, 2013 | Nathan managed Jen at Conductor, Inc.
June 2011 - June 2013
Marketing and Social Media Coordinator
Conductor is a B2B SaaS platform that helps brands optimize their organic content marketing and SEO. I reported to Director of Research as the first member of the research and content team.
-Brainstormed, edited, promoted data-informed content; articles, blog posts, conference proposals, and research studies
- Strategized paid and organic content across traditional and nontraditional social platforms
- Coordinated event logistics, including planning the first C3—Conductor’s annual customer conference
- Utilized marketing automation to measure marketing efforts
Founding member of Conductor's social good initiative, which grew into the Conductor Foundation and now awards several software grants annually to nonprofits including WNYC, National Kidney Foundation, March of Dimes, and Teach for America.
These are just some recent career highlights. To see my full resume, please visit my LinkedIn profile.